Red felt box included
2 5/8″W x 3 1/2″H
The present day Ocracoke Lighthouse structure was built in 1823, replacing the Shell Castle Island lighthouse. This “new” solid brick lighthouse was controlled by both the northern and southern troops during different periods of the Civil War. In 1868, the tower was cemented and covered with its first coat of whitewash making it a brilliant white. Whale oil was first used to light the lanterns which were then changed to kerosene. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed in 1854. Electricity now powers the light which shines 14 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean.
The 75-foot tall Ocracoke Lighthouse on Ocracoke Island is the oldest active lighthouse in North Carolina and is the second oldest operating lighthouse in the nation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Ocracoke Lighthouse Ornament is an ideal gift for any lighthouse collector. Tom Pollard Designs specializes in designing the finest gold-plated brass lighthouse ornaments.