Fort Monroe Chapel
Black felt box included
3″W x 2 7/8″H
Chapel of the Centurion
The oldest continually used wooden military structure for religious services in the United States. It is located inside Fort Monroe, a former military installation located in Hampton, Virginia. The Chapel is named for Cornelius the Centurion, who is believed to be the first Gentile to convert to Christianity.
Construction of the chapel began in 1856 and it was consecrated on May 3, 1858. It was designed by noted architect, Richard Upjohn, in the Carpenter Gothic style. Fort Monroe is no longer an active Army post. The Chapel had an active congregation and it is likely that activities will continued relatively unchanged after the Fort’s closing.